Here are 6 fun facts about Cashmere that are sure to make your favorite sweater even more special to you:
1. It is extremely rare - Cashmere wool is a finite resource, meaning there is only a certain amount available in the world, and it is priced accordingly.
2. It’s the GOAT, literally - Cashmere comes from a goat which originates from Inner Mongolia, and Mongolia. You need the cashmere from about 4 goats to make just one sweater!
3. It is fueled by cold air - It is naturally designed to keep the goats warm in harsh climates, so the colder it gets, the more it grows. When the weather warms, the goats shed their fleece which is then turned into the valuable product that keeps us warm in return.
4. It gets better with age - Well-made cashmere will get even softer as it is worn and washed and it rarely pills. Goats’ fur, like human hair, gets fluffier and more luscious after a wash.There is no itchiness involved - The diameter of cashmere fibers is very small and the density is higher than wool, leaving the texture soft to the touch and velvety smooth.
5. It’s been on trend since the 19th century - In the early years of the 1800s, cashmere hit Western Europe and was worn by powerful figures such as the wife of a French General in Paris. It quickly became a symbol of importance and wealth and was extremely sought after. It has maintained a similar status ever since with premium positioning in the market.
6. It is hypoallergenic - As some other sweater materials cause redness, itchiness or other reactions on sensitive skin, cashmere is typically comfortable for all skin types.